Tech Xpress

Always restore sessions in Firefox 2.0

As some of you may know, the concept of session restore has been introduced in Firefox 2.0.
For those who don't, Session restore is the ability of the browser (or any other software) to recreate or redisplay the data lost from the previous session.

Firefox 2.0 allows the user to restore sessions after a system crash. This session restore functionality can be altered by the user to allow Firefox to open pages from the previous session everytime it is opened.

The steps involved to make it work are really quite simple.

1. Type about:config in the address bar and press Enter.

2. Now, right-click in the browser window and select New >> Boolean.

3. A box will appear. In this box, type browser.sessionstore.resume_session and click Ok.

4. Now set the value as True and click Ok.

5. Go to Tools >> Options.

6. Under Startup, select When Firefox starts, and set Show my windows and tabs from last time and click Ok.

That's it and you are done.

If you like this, click here to get updates by email

Click here to subscribe to my Feeds


Related Reading:
Mozilla releases Firefox 2.0.
Set multiple home pages in Firefox.

Source : Link

Tags:

Labels: , ,

posted by Vijeesh Ravindran, Tuesday, October 31, 2006


16 Comments:

Comment by Anonymous Anonymous on November 18, 2006 at 1:37 PM  
Exactly what I needed. Thank you.
Comment by Anonymous Anonymous on November 24, 2006 at 9:37 PM  
But I want it to never restore! I always shut my computer off by just hitting the power button and let everything shut down by itself. Therefor I have to click new session every time I restart Firefox.

How do you make it so it never asks to restore at startup?
To disable session restore.

1.Go to Tools >> Options.

2.Click the Main tab in the Options window.

3.Under Startup, select When Firefox starts, and select "Show a blank page". Click Ok.

4. You can also reverse the steps that was explained in the post.
i.e delete the browser.sesstionrestore.restore_session key of set its value to false.
Comment by Anonymous Anonymous on March 20, 2007 at 4:11 PM  
thank you so much
ok, and how do you do to AUTOMATICALLY restore your last session.. without firefox asking me if i want to or not..
Luis- Thanks a lot for visiting...

I guess you mean automatically restore a session without prompting the user..
I haven't quite figured that out..
still looking for a solution of what luis wants too..

automatically restore a session without prompting the user..
Comment by Anonymous Anonymous on January 10, 2008 at 9:20 PM  
I too am still looking for a solution of what luis wants too..

automatically restore a session without prompting the user..
Comment by Anonymous Anonymous on January 24, 2008 at 10:33 PM  
do you know how to turn off "Restore previous session" dialog when I always want to restore my last session?
Comment by Anonymous Anonymous on January 24, 2008 at 11:26 PM  
how to disable dialog: http://ffextensionguru.wordpress.com/2006/12/28/improper-shutdown-bug/
Comment by Anonymous Anonymous on January 24, 2008 at 11:29 PM  
How to disable dialog: Via about:config add a NEW String pref called: browser.sessionstore.restore_prompt_uri and set it to javascript:window.close();
Comment by Blogger Teff on April 3, 2008 at 7:09 AM  
hey i have a mac and i cant find the option tool-option so i could turn on he option of start up can you tell me where it is?

thanks
@teff- I think Firefox for Mac has a different way to navigate to the 'Options' box. I don't have a mac.
Just look around in the top menu; you will get the answer.
How do you update the restore point (manually)? Sometimes the power goes and when I hit the restore session button I get an older session. (Some tabs that are a few hours/days old that I had closed and some of the newer/resent tabs are missing.)
Comment by Anonymous Anonymous on December 17, 2008 at 10:46 PM  
Perfect instructions. Exactly what I needed too.
Thanks, this made my old EEE PC Surf a little bit more enjoyable.

Dan