Tech Xpress

Capture Movie\Video Screenshots from Windows Media Player

What will happen if you try to capture a screenshot in Windows media player by using the 'Printscreen' button?
Chances are you will end up with a black blank screen and not a shot of the video.

The following quick tip will help you to easily capture screenshots of videos from Windows Media Player.

Method 1

1. Use 'Ctrl + I' while a video is being played or while it is paused.
2. This displays a Save Captured Image dialog box which allows you to save the captured screenshot.

Method 2

1. In Windows Media Player, go to Tools >> Options.
2. Select the Performance tab in the Options window.
3. Click the Advanced button.
4. In the Video Acceleration section, uncheck 'Use Overlays'.
You can also uncheck Use Overlays in the DVD video section to capture stills from DVDs.
5. Click Ok

Once you are done with the setting, pause the video in Windows Media Player and click the 'PrintScreen' button on the keyboard. You will find this button next to the F12 key on your keyboard.
Now open an image editor and paste or hit 'Ctrl + V' to paste the screenshot image.

If there are any better alternatives, Please let me know.

If you like this, click here to get updates by email
Click here to subscribe to my Feeds

Labels: , ,

posted by Vijeesh Ravindran, Monday, December 04, 2006


5 Comments:

Comment by Anonymous Anonymous on March 30, 2008 at 12:03 AM  
Thanks for that. I run a semi-private movie image quiz on an IMDb message board fairly regularly, and I was having trouble capturing my own screenshots on my laptop while my desktop is in the shop.

This fixed my problem! Thanks again.
You can also try CapTrue 1.0 (http://www.captrue.com). It is a replacement for Print Screen key combination, but also can capture Windows Media Player window (as well as the other video players)
Comment by Anonymous Cedric on August 7, 2008 at 10:20 AM  
Funny how we are only responding to your posts 2 years from when you posted it!

Thanks, it's very useful. It helped me.
Comment by Anonymous Anonymous on July 16, 2009 at 7:07 PM  
Your idea is a big help. I got a piture of my baby from a ultra sound baby video (26 week prenant). It save me a lot of time and a good lesson for me. Thanks a lot. Good work.
Comment by Anonymous Anonymous on January 12, 2011 at 10:28 PM  
I am amazed, looking for something else I ran into this article. I have been searching for this solution but for NERO Showtime for years. Their help site and associated BB has never addressed this. Guess what? It works on Nero also! Thank you-thank you. lol