Tech Xpress

Make New Tabs Always open your Homepage - Firefox 2.0 Tip

[Firefox 3 Update: If you want to do this with Firefox 3, check out my post on How to force new tabs to open your Homepage in Firefox 3]

Hello Readers!
Although I personally don't prefer this, some people find it useful to load their home pages every time a new Tab is opened in Firefox 2.

You have to download and install a small Add-on called Tabbrowser Preferences to make this work.

Just setting a home page in Firefox will open it(the homepage) only when Firefox is opened.
To load that home page each time a new tab is opened in Firefox, follow these steps:


1. In Firefox 2.0, go to Tools >> Options.
2. The Options box (picture above) is opened. Click Tabbed Browsing and select the User Interface Tab.
3. In the New Tab Button section, select Browser Homepage for the When load new tabs, load the: box.
4. Click Ok.

Now when you open a new tab in Firefox 2.0, the specified homepage will be loaded automatically in the tab.

If you have set multiple homepages in Firefox, the first page in the list is loaded.

If you like this, click here to get updates by email

Click here to subscribe to my Feeds

Related Reading:
Set Multiple Home pages in Firefox
Disable Automatic Image Resizing in Firefox 2
Disable Tab scrolling in Firefox 2
Change Tab Close buttons in Firefox 2
Always restore sessions in Firefox 2.0
Set Multiple Home pages in Internet Explorer

Tags:

Labels: , , ,

posted by Vijeesh Ravindran, Wednesday, December 13, 2006


9 Comments:

Comment by Anonymous Anonymous on December 21, 2006 at 3:03 PM  
How do you do this in version 2.0.0.1? is it possible?

thank-you
Ms_Rissy@yahoo.com
Hi,

Thanks for reading from Tech Xpress.

Yes! I've tried this in Firefox 2.0.0.1. And it works absolutely fine.
Comment by Anonymous Anonymous on December 28, 2006 at 2:25 PM  
I'm sorry but that's baloney... I have Firefox 2.0.0.1 on Windows, and I DON'T have the option "New Tab" section in my Tab options... so I can't set this option on my browser.
I have Updated the Original post for those users who have not been able to execute this tip.

Please go through the post to make this work.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Comment by Anonymous Abhijeet P on January 22, 2007 at 1:48 AM  
Thanks a tonn for the pointer to the
TabBrowser preferences addon.
Not only have I been able to have my home page(google) show up every time I hit a new tab but the add-on also lets me specify the location of the tabbar. I've been going crazy trying to figure out how to move the tab bar to the bottom of the screen(this is a standard setting in Firefox 1) but it looks like it was removed in Firefox 2.

Thanks for the tip
Comment by Anonymous Anonymous on November 18, 2007 at 5:35 PM  
Thanks a lot for the tip, it works very fine.
Thank you so much!! I had been wondering about this and it's exactly what I've been looking for.

Peace,
Sheryl
Comment by Anonymous Anonymous on February 25, 2008 at 9:28 AM  
Does anyone know how to enable this in 2.0.0.12?
thnx!!! this helped a lot... I hated the blank page on a new tab!!